Poached Cod in Tomato Curry
- 3 tbsps Vegetable oil
- 1 1" piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 Red chile, halved, seeded, thinly sliced (optional)
- 4 Cardamon pods, crushed (*see alternative below)
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp Ground tumeric
- 2 pints Cherry tomatoes (about 1 1/4 lbs)
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened coconut cream
- Kosher salt
- 4 5-oz skinless cod fillets
- 1 cup Basil leaves, torn if large
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add ginger, garlic, and chile if using, and cook, stirring often, until the garlic has softened but not taken on any color, about 3 minutes. Add spices and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.. Add tomatoes and cook, occasionally stirring, until most of the tomatoes have burst and released their liquid, 12–15 minutes. Stir in coconut cream; taste and season curry with salt.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Season cod with salt and nestle it into the curry. Cover and cook at a bare simmer until fish is opaque throughout and beginning to flake, 5–7 minutes (thicker pieces will take longer to cook).
Gently transfer cod to shallow bowls. Stir basil into tomato curry, then spoon over fish.
*If you can't find cardamom pods, 3 tsp of high-quality garam masala can replace the cardamom and coriander.